Power outages can happen because of bad weather or extreme temperatures. Power outages
can last for a few minutes or a few days.
What You Should Do
If a power outage is possible
- Fill your car's gas tank. (Gas pumps are electric.)
- Make sure you have enough flashlights and extra batteries.
- Make sure you have food that does not require refrigeration or cooking.
- Fill your bathtub with water for washing and cleaning.
- Fill clean containers with drinking water. (more)
If the power is out
- Use only battery-powered lights to see. Do not use a candle or other open flame.
- Turn off any appliance or equipment that was being used when the power went out.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator or freezer.
- Do not run a generator inside the house or in a garage.
- Follow food safety precautions.
- If there is a Boil Water Advisory, boil tap water for one minute or more before you use it for drinking, preparing food, washing dishes, or bathing small children.