Community Health Network Programs for Arthritis
Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program
- Community-based, recreational exercise program that includes gentle, joint-safe exercises developed specifically for people with arthritis to help relieve stiffness, decrease arthritis pain, and improve balance. The low-impact exercises can be done while sitting, standing, or on the floor. Group sessions led by certified instructors meet for 1 hour, twice a week for 6 weeks at various locations throughout the state.
Target Audience: Adults (18+ years old) with arthritis
- Cost: Varies from $0 to $45 by site offering program
Arthritis Foundation Walk With Ease Program
- Helps people living with arthritis reduce pain and increase balance and walking pace and helps people without arthritis make walking a regular habit. Group sessions with a certified leader meet for 6 weeks, 3 times per week at various locations throughout the state.
Target Audience: Anyone who can be on their feet for 10 minutes without increased pain
- Cost: Varies from $0 to $15 and usually includes the cost of a book
Living Well Rhode Island, Chronic Disease Self-Management
- Led by certified Peer Leaders, this workshop teaches people ways to manage symptoms and medications, communicate with family and doctors, handle difficult emotions, relax, eat well, exercise, and set goals to improve health and lifestyles. Group sessions meet for 2 1/2 hours per week for 6 weeks. Facilitated in both English and Spanish.
Target Audience:Adults (18+ years old) who have, or who care for someone with, a chronic condition such as asthma, arthritis, cancer, COPD, diabetes, or heart disease
- Cost: Free. Incentives are provided to participants
YMCA Enhance Fitness
- This 16 week group exercise program that uses simple, easy to learn movements that motivate people with or without arthritis to stay active throughout their lives. The class is ideal for people who may be new to group exercise and want to have fun while exercising. People in the program experience improved physical strength, increased flexibility, better balance, enhanced cardiovascular fitness and reduced arthritic pain.
Target Audience: At least 18 years of age
- Cost: $25 monthly non-members, free for members