Find Health Services
There are many places in Rhode Island where you can get medical care. People with health insurance usually choose to be seen be a private primary care physician. For people with low incomes, or with limited access to health insurance, Community Health Centers and free clinics provide no or low-cost healthcare services. Additional sites across the state offer HIV testing and family planning services to all Rhode Islanders. Call the site in your area to find out if they are accepting new patients and to schedule an initial visit. Note that proof of income may be required for discounted or free care.
Types of Services
- Primary Care: Offered by all Community Health Centers and free clinics statewide. Some independent primary care physicians are also members of Health Access RI who allow for low, minimum, monthly payments for heath care. If you do have health insurance you may check with the health insurance company to see which doctors' services are covered by your plan.
- Same Day Service: In general, same day services are for health center patients only.
- Dental: Offered by some sites; treatment may be limited to medical patients or certain types of care. (more)
- Family Planning: Offered by most Community Health Centers and Planned Parenthood of Southern New England. Services include birth control counseling, pregnancy testing, HIV counseling, testing and referral. (more)
- Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD): Offered by a variey of health care provers. Services include testing, treatment, and vaccination. (more)
- HIV Testing: Offered by most Community Health Centers and by additional sites across the state (more).