Information for Parents
What you should do to keep your children healthy
Have them immunized
Immunizations, also known as vaccinations or "baby shots," can protect your child from many serious diseases.
Protect them from environmental lead
Lead poisoned children are likely to suffer life-long consequences. Fortunately, parents can take actions to protect children from lead poisoning. (more)
Set a healthy example
- Be active and eat a healthy diet. Eat fruits and vegetables everyday and limit fat, sugar and sugar sweetened beverages. (more)
- If you smoke, quit. Even if you don't, take steps to keep your children from starting. (more)
What we do
- Offer home visits to pregnant women and families with young children (more)
- Oversee health screening of newborns and young children.
- Link families with WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) Program services.
- Help parents of children with special health care needs. (more)
- Oversee the childhood lead poison prevention efforts in the state (more)
- Supply pediatric offices with free vaccines (more)
- Direct KIDSNET, the state's confidential, computerized child health information system.
- Perform food safety inspections in school cafeterias (more)