Sexuality is an important part of being human. Healthy relationships, love, and sexual intimacy are all part of staying well. Protecting yourself from sexually transmitted diseases and unintended pregnancies is also critical to your well being.
What You Should Do
- Get HIV/STD testing, birth control advice, preconception counseling, and other services through your healthcare provider, a Title X Family Planning Agency, or an HIV Testing Site.
- Protect yourself and others from sexually-transmitted diseases and unintended pregnancy by practicing safer sex. (more)
- Choose the birth control methods that are right for you and
exercise personal choice in the number and spacing of your children. (more)
- Understand and accept your sexual identity and that of others. (more)
- Learn the signs of sexual violence,
know how to get help, and speak out when you see others engaging in abusive behavior. (more)
- If you are a healthcare provider, report HIV/STD cases, provide or refer for family planning services, encourage safer sex, and offer the HPV vaccine. (more)
What We Do
- Support Title X Family Planning Agencies to provide confidential services on a sliding fee scale. (more)
- Work to reduce the number of new HIV/AIDS and hepatitis cases in Rhode Island by providing preventive services, as well as medication and support for people living with HIV/AIDS. (more)
- Monitor rates and trends of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS. (more)
- Collaborate with Rhode Island physicians to provide free vasectomies to men with limited health insurance. (more)
- Monitor and assess risks related to pregnancy. (more)
- Encourage vaccination to prevent the spread of Human Papillomavirus (HPV), which is transmitted sexually and can lead to cervical cancer. (more)
- Partner with Day One, the Sexual Assault and Trauma Resource Center.