Healthy Weight: Information for Parents
Parents have a strong influence over their children’s behavior. Setting a good example by eating healthily and being physically active goes a long way towards lifelong good habits for children.
What you should do
- Select childcare providers that prioritize nutrition and physical activity;
- Demand healthier foods in your child's school by getting involved in the school PTA/PTO;
- Offer a variety of foods including fruits and vegetables, low fat dairy products and whole grains;
- Limit juice to 4 oz. per day if at all;
- Make low fat milk and water the beverage of choice;
- Pack your child’s meals and snacks with healthy option;
- Learn how to help your children eat smart and move more outside of childcare;
- Avoid power struggles over food;
- Limit exposure to junk food marketing and advertising by limiting screen time (TV, video games, mobile phones and computers);
- Encourage your child to get involved with active sports;
- Limit fast food when you are on the go;
- Visit Fruits & Veggies More Matters to get healthy eating tips and information on promotions, contests, events and activities in your community.