Healthy Weight and Heart Disease
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. Stroke is the third leading cause of death and a leading cause of disability. Heart disease and stroke affect a person’s heart and blood vessels. There are many associated risk factors that have been shown to increase the risk of developing heart disease. Maintaining a healthy weight and increasing physical activity can reduce the risks of developing heart disease. more
How maintaining a healthy weight will help you
Maintaining a healthy weight will help you:
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol
- Decrease your risk of developing heart disease
Tips for people with heart disease
- Talk to your doctor before beginning a physical activity and nutrition program.
- Eat a diet rich in fiber to decrease the risk of coronary disease.
- Exercise aerobically by walking, swimming, biking, or running for at least 30 minutes a day to lower your blood pressure.
- Monitor any weight lifting or other anaerobic exercise with your healthcare provider.