Healthy Weight: Information for Older Adults
Older Adults can enrich and prolong their lives by eating smart and moving more. Even as we age it is important to stay physically active and eat well. Physical activity has been shown to improve balance and build muscle strength. A diet rich in vitamins and minerals, high in fiber and low in fat contributes to longevity.
What you should do
- Eat three meals and two snacks a day;
- Eat a variety of foods to stay healthy;
- Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration;
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables;
- Eat a low fat, high fiber diet rich in calcium, iron, protein, vitamins A, C and folacin; more
- Do some form of physical activity each day. Walking has been shown to help control weight as we age.