Embalming / Funeral Directing


  • Renewal notices are sent out 60 days before your expiration date.
    Renew Online

Renewal Card Print Delay

RIDOH has been temporarily unable to print any licenses or certificates since December 11, 2017. Until printing resumes, facility or professional licenses can be verified real-time online.

How to get licensed

The Center for Professional Licensing oversees the Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers, which licenses and certifies crematory facilities, funeral establishments, funeral directors, embalmers, and intern funeral directors.

Applications for licensure (Funeral Director/Embalmer, Intern, Funeral Establishment, Funeral Establishment Branch Office, or Crematory) must be downloaded and printed. Completed forms should be mailed to the address noted on the application. Forms will not be accepted via email or fax.

Recommended Best Practices

Funeral Planning

According to Rhode Island law, all Rhode Islanders can designate another person to be responsible for their funeral arrangements, regardless of their relationship to that person. If such a designation wasn’t made, Rhode Island law only allows a spouse or next of kin to make funeral arrangements. more

Board of Funeral Directors and Embalmers