Meaningful Use - Immunization Objective
The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs provide financial incentives for the “meaningful use” of certified EHR technology to improve patient care. To receive an EHR incentive payment, providers have to show that they are “meaningfully using” their EHRs by meeting thresholds for a number of objectives.
Rhode Island Capacity for Accepting Immunization HL7 Messages
March 18, 2018
The Rhode Island Immunization Information System is part of KIDSNET
and accepts immunization messages for individuals under the age of 19 from eligible hospitals (EH) and from eligible providers (EP).
Meaningful Use Stage 3 - Capacity for 01/01/2018 declared June 27, 2017
By 01/01/2018, KIDSNET will conform to the CDC HL7 2.5.1 Implementation Guide for Immunization Messaging, Release 1.5 and Addendum, including supporting Query/Response, acknowledgement messaging, and the receipt of National Drug Codes (NDC) for newly-administered immunizations.
- Rhode Island also requires the inclusion of CVX codes.
- NDC codes and Query response are newly required for MU Stage 3. These features were not previously available in KIDSNET and will require registration to test with the registry.
- Please complete and submit a Registration of Intent in advance to indicate your desire to begin testing. Submit to Jeff Goggin, Jeff.Goggin@health.ri.gov
HL7 2.5.1: Test messages are accepted following submission of a Registration of Intent, the provision of identifiers for testing, and the invitation to test. Please contact Jeff Goggin, Jeff.Goggin@health.ri.gov for Rhode Island specifics.
Current Capacity for HL7 2.5.1 - since 02/03/2014
Since 02/03/2014 KIDSNET has had the capacity to accept HL7 2.5.1 VXU messages. Currently KIDSNET does not include processing NDC codes or Query/Response.
HL7 2.3.1: KIDSNET will no longer accept HL7 2.3.1 immunization messages from hospitals and providers as of 4/1/ 2018. All HL7 Immunization messages must be version 2.5.1. as of that date.
Rhode Island’s Capacity is periodically updated and should be monitored for changes.
What You Should Do
Complete Registration of Intent
Registration of Intent for the Immunization Meaningful Use Objective is required if you are onboarding for the first time, or wish to test for MU Stage 3. To register, each practice location that vaccinates individuals under 19 years of age should complete the Registration of Intent Form and e-mail it to Jeff.Goggin@health.ri.gov
Registration of Intent is Required as of 01/01/2014:
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital is testing HL7 2.5.1 immunization messages to KIDSNET for the first time.
- If the eligible provider or eligible hospital wishes to test HL7 2.5.1 immunization messages for MU Stage 3 readiness.
Registration of Intent is Not Required:
- If KIDSNET does not have the capacity to accept immunization messages from the eligible provider or eligible hospital. This may be verified by printing the web page showing Rhode Island capacity at the beginning of the reporting period.
What We Do
- Provide guidance to practices and hospitals regarding HL7 immunization messaging to KIDSNET.
- Provide a link to CDC's
HL7 Implementation Guides for Immunization Messaging.
- Provide a confirmation of Registration of Intent to the primary contact listed on the Registration of Intent form.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP)/ eligible hospital (EH) of testing procedures and invite them to begin testing.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP) /eligible hospital (EH) when corrective action is needed during the testing process and record if it is not responded to within 30 days of the request.
- Notify the eligible provider (EP)/ eligible hospital (EH) when all testing criteria have been met and submission of HL7 immunization messages to KIDSNET production may begin.
- Accept on-going HL7 immunization messages to KIDSNET production, and verify those submissions by returning HL7 ACK messages and KIDSNET e-mail notifiers.