Division of Infectious Disease and Epidemiology
The Division of Infectious Disease and Epidemiology of the Rhode Island Department of Health serves and protects the Rhode Island public by controlling the spread of infectious diseases. We track, manage, and contain an ever-growing number of serious illnesses committing ourselves to the highest standards of vigilance, knowledge, and service.
What We Do
Monitor Reportable Infectious Diseases
- Receive reports of illness and laboratory results;
- Identify newly diagnosed cases;
- Analyze trends in newly diagnosed cases.
- Locate people who have been exposed to infectious diseases and contact them to guide them to action.
Control Disease Outbreaks
- Plan public health responses to outbreaks of infectious disease;
- React swiftly to contain outbreaks by communicating essential information to the public and collaborating with health care providers in the community.