Medical Emergency Distribution System (MEDS)
To ensure that Rhode Island maintains the ability to respond to a public health emergency by receiving, distributing, and dispensing medical countermeasures and supplies.
What we do
- Maintain the State’s plan to receive, stage, distribute, and dispense medical countermeasures and supplies from the Strategic National Stockpile during a public health emergency.
- Prepare the state to respond to bioterrorism by having a plan to y rapidly dispensing medication to their entire population within 48 hours of the decision to do so as part of the federal Cities Readiness Initiative.
- Participate in the CDC's CHEMPACK program, to "forward place" chemical nerve agent antidotes throughout the Rhode Island so they would be available to local emergency responders in the case of a chemical nerve agent event.
Coordinate annual exercises of Points of Dispensing.
- Utilize points of dispensing for: flu vaccine, water distribution during hurricanes, and Tdap and Seasonal Flu vaccinations.
- Train staff, volunteers, and medical professionals.
- Review and offer guidance for all local Medical Emergency Distribution System Point-of-Dispensing Plans