WIC Information for Healthcare Providers
What We Do
- Support the American Academy of Pediatrics statement on breastfeeding and the use of human milk. WIC encourages mothers to fully breastfeed their babies for the first six months, followed by continued breastfeeding as complementary foods are introduced, with continuation of breastfeeding for one year or longer as mutually desired by the mother and infant.
- Assist WIC mothers with breasfeeding and make appropriate referrals.
- Provide a limited number of milk-based and soy-based formulas for qualified WIC infants who are not fully breastfeeding.
What You Should Do
- Encourage mothers to fully breastfeed their babies for at least the first six months.
- For non-breastfed babies, recommend one of the WIC contract standard infant formulas. These formulas do NOT require a prescription.
- Enfamil Infant; milk-based formula, 60:40 whey-to-casein ratio (400 IU vitamin D in 27 oz)
- Enfamil ProSobee; soy-based formula
- Enfamil Gentlease; partially hydrolyzed milk-based formula, 60:40 whey-to-casein ratio, 20% lactose
- Enfamil AR: thickened milk-based formula, 20:80 whey-to-casein ratio, suggestion for GERD/Reflux
- Enfamil Reguline: partially hydrolyzed milk-based formula, designed to promote softer stools
- If a diagnosed qualifying medical condition necessitates the use of a non-contract formula, complete thenecessary medical documentation infants (children) so that a non-contract formula can be approved. In some cases, incomplete or limited medical information may prevent the approval of the formula requested. In order to expedite the approval process, WIC staff may need to contact the healthcare provider to obtain more detailed medical information. The following is a list of non-qualifying medical conditions:
- Colic, sptting up, gassiness, or fussiness
- Diarrhea, vomiting, or constipation that is of short duration or intermittent
- Feeding difficulty without providing further medical diagnosis
- Participant preference
- Non-specific formula or food intolerance
- Need or desire to enhance nutrient intake or manage body weight