Suicide is a deliberate attempt to end one’s life.
Suicide attempts are three times more likely among females, who are twice as likely to experience depression as males. Completed suicides are more 4 times likely among males, who tend to use more lethal means, such as guns. more
What you should do
- Know suicide risk and preventive factors and local support services; more
- Let yourself and others know that professional help to deal with depression can prevent suicide;
- Suicide-proof your home; more
- Look for the warning signs of suicide. more)
If you are in crisis seek immediate help
What we are doing
- Working to prevent youth, ages 15-24 suicide, through the Rhode Island Youth Suicide Prevention Project.
- Identifying, helping, and referring youth who may have symptoms of depression or suicidality to proper mental health professionals through a contract with Rhode Island Student Assistance Services.
- Educating parents about simple steps they can take to reduce the risk of suicide in their homes through the Suicide-Proof Initiative - a partnership between the us and the Center to Prevent Youth Violence.
- Creating messaging for a guns/means restriction campaign; and the integration of suicide prevention into curriculum at Brown University.